Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Decidedly Awesome!

Pallie can read.

She's been "reading" for a long, long time...mimicking the act for as long as I can remember, then reading from memory, but now, now, she is reading.

I'm frankly flabbergasted. I mean, I knew it was happening. She's been picking out phrases here and there off of TV, magazines, signs, etc., for a few months now, but tonight, she read a story to me that I've never read to her; that *no one* has ever read to her. Actually encapsulating how I feel is difficult--as if the joy of being able to read on one's own is not something to be summed up in a proud word or two.

For the record, Pal read "Ruby Paints a Picture" by Susan Hill to me. It's An I Can Read Book Level 1 which she checked out from school on her own last week. The only word she checked with me about when she first brought home the story was "Fiona" a proper noun. She read with inflection and even some character voices. She paused at the end of each page to point out something of note in each illustration. It was wonderfully mind-boggling. I was bursting with pride and love and, yes, because I'm all about emoting, it was also all a bit bittersweet for me.

I'm thrilled, but now even more concerned about making the best schooling choices for her. Coincidentally, I've been trying to get all the dates and paperwork and pros and cons of four different grade schools plotted out and my notes are right next to my computer as I type. Each school has different packet pick-up dates, registration dates, notification dates, etc. None of them has the exact some date structure. Anyway this reading bit has me thinking that I better make the best decision I can for my girl and her schooling...no pressure.

Oh man, do I love her! and not just 'cause she can read...she's decidedly awesome!

No comments: